Showing Collections: 211 - 219 of 219
Abstract This collection contains printed and visual materials that pertain to the first president of Elon College, William Samuel Long. The items in this collection are not necessarily papers that were generated by him during his tenure as president of Elon College during 1889-1894, but materials that have been collected by others over the years that relate to W.S. Long. The few original items in the collection from W.S. Long can be found in the following series: Correspondence and Literary...
Abstract This collection includes materials relating to William Wesley Staley, President of Elon College from 1894 to 1905. Some of the materials relate directly to his time as President, while other documents have been collected over the years to form the collection. For more information about what is included, please see the section below titled "Detailed Description of the Collection."
Dates: 1884 - 2001
Abstract The Wilmington 10 were a group of nine black men and one white woman who were controversially convicted on charges of arson and conspiracy after a racially-motivated 1971 riot in Wilmington, North Carolina. The leader of the group, Benjamin Chavis, was then employed as a community organizer for the United Church of Christ's Commission for Racial Justice. During the trial and appeals process, the Wilmington 10 received significant financial and legal support from the UCC. Largely consisting of...
Dates: 1971 - 2013
Abstract This collection contains documents and information relating to the Women's and Gender Studies academic program at Elon University. For detailed information about the program, please consult the section below titled "Historical Note." For more information about what is in the collection, please see the section below titled "Detailed Description of the Collection."
Dates: 1985 - ongoing
Abstract This collection contains materials relating to World War I and Elon College. The Students' Army Training Corps that existed on Elon's campus during World War I is represented in this collection. The dates included are 1918 and 1919. There are many additional resources in the Belk Library Archives and Special Collections that document World War I and Elon College. Please consult with the Archivist and Special Collections Librarian for further information about these resources. The collection is...
Dates: 1918 - 1919
Abstract This collection contains materials relating to World War II and Elon College. The Civilian Pilot Training Program that existed on Elon's campus during World War II is represented in this collection. The dates included are 1940-2008. There are many additional resources in the Belk Library Archives and Special Collections that document World War II and Elon College. Please consult with the Archivist and Special Collections Librarian for further information about these resources. The collection is...
Dates: 1940 - 2008
Abstract This collection is comprised of documents pertaining to the beginning of and upkeep of Elon's Center for Writing Excellence. The collection spans from the Writing Center's beginning in 1988 to the modern day. Included in this collection are events surrounding the Center for Writing Excellence, various awards it has won, general correspondence, and newspaper clippings about the center.
Abstract Housed in this collection are papers regarding the beginnings of and continuation of the WSOE Radio Station at Elon University. This collection begins with the creation of the first radio tower on Elon College's campus in 1921 and continues through the present. The station as we know it today, WSOE, began in 1977 though there was a radio tower on the campus prior to WSOE's beginnings.
Dates: 1921 - 2016
- correspondence 24
- black-and-white photographs 10
- color photographs 9
- Clergy. 8
- Elon (N.C.) 8
- Education. Higher. 7
- World War, 1939-1945. 7
- Christian education. 6
- Student activities. 6
- newspaper clippings 6
- Alamance County (N.C.)--History. 5
- Education, Higher--United States. 5
- Sermons 4
- University and colleges--Graduate work. 4
- Student Societies, etc. 3
- newsletters 3
- postcards 3
- African Americans--Civil rights--North Carolina 2
- African Americans--Study and teaching (Higher) 2
- Alamance County (N.C.) 2 ∧ less
- Elon College--History. 79
- Elon University--History. 73
- Elon University--Students. 20
- General Council of the Congregational Christian Churches of the United States--History. 17
- Elon College--Buildings. 16
- Elon University--Buildings. 16
- General Convention of the Christian Church--History. 16
- General Council of the Congregational and Christian Churches of the United States 16
- United Church of Christ--History. 16
- General Convention of the Christian Church 15
- United Church of Christ 15
- Elon College--Faculty. 13
- Elon College--Students. 13
- Elon University--Faculty. 12
- General Council of the Congregational Christian Churches of the United States 12
- Elon University--Presidents. 11
- Elon College--Cultural programs. 10
- Elon College--Presidents. 10
- Elon University--Cultural programs. 10
- United Church of Christ. Southern Conference 10 ∧ less