Faculty Women's Club Collection
This collection contains materials regarding the Faculty Women's Club at Elon College. It contains materials dating between 1947 and 1991. The collection includes types of materials such as invitations, constitutions and by-laws, correspondences, newspaper clippings, and programs. The collection is arranged chronologically and then alphabetically by type of material. Specification is given to materials where necessary.
- 1947 - 1991
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
The nature of the Archives and Special Collections of Belk Library means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Archives and Special Collections of Belk Library claims only physical ownership of most materials. The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to the U.S. Copyright Law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research of otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Biographical / Historical
The Faulty Women's Club included female members affiliated with Elon College either through employment or marriage to a faculty or staff member. The group's first documented existence was 1947. Although the ending date of the club is unknown, the last documentation of their existence available at Elon is 1991. The group also had several committees aiding in the organization of the group; executive, membership, program, publicity, and nominating committees. The committees produced an annual program to encourage member socialization. The programs consisted of a variety of Elon affiliated sporting events or performances and activities organized by the Faculty Women's Club. The social group met monthly from September to April at either 3:00pm or 7:30pm on a day determined by the executive board. Some of the early meeting topics included, recreation for busy women, forms of worship, women in government, technology/electronics of the time and ideas and favors for parties. The name of the group later changed to the Elon College Women's Club in 1976 along with membership requirements. Any woman connected to Elon College was able to join the club. The club's officers then consisted of president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. The women in the social group attended Elon events together, had picnics, bake sales, did crafts together, as well as other activities. All of their activities took place on Elon's campus.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 archival box)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically and then alphabetically by type of material. Specification is given to materials where necessary.
The collection is located in the Carol Grotnes Belk Library Archives and Special Collections at Elon University. Please contact the Archivist and Special Collections Librarian for further details about the location.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Unknown. Materials collected and assembled over many years to form collection. Some items were given by Verona Danieley.
Processed by Rachel Stas, April, 2012
- Encoded by Katie Nash, May, 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script