Elon Band Collection
This collection contains materials related to the band at Elon University dating from 1907 to present day. It includes photocopied photographs from Elon's yearbook, PhiPsiCli, relating to the band, correspondences, newspaper and magazine clippings, and other printed materials. The collection is arranged chronologically, then alphabetically by type of material.
- 1907 - ongoing
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
The nature of the Archives and Special Collections of Belk Library means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Archives and Special Collections of Belk Library claims only physical ownership of most materials. The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to the U.S. Copyright Law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research of otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Biographical / Historical
In 1908, Elon student Russell A. Campbell organized and directed Elon College's first band. He played the coronet and was a member of the football team until he graduated from Elon College in 1911. In 1921, Mark Z. Rhodes (freshman student at Elon) wrote the words to Elon's current fight song, later known as "The School Song." He was also band director until he graduated in 1923. The early band at Elon College performed mainly at dances and athletic events until the Great Depression in 1929. During the Great Depression, it was forced to be eliminated due to difficult economic times. However, the band was revived in 1935 by Elon College President Leon E. Smith. This time it was led by Landon Walker from Charlotte, North Carolina. Walker became a student at Elon College, while recruiting and directing for the band. Upon his arrival, the band consisted of two coronet players, but by 1939 the band had grown and held nearly 40 members. In 1950, the Elon College band hired their first faculty band director, Eugene Jacobowski. As director, he split the band into two separate groups, a pep band and a concert band. In 1962, Jack White became the new faculty band director. During his 25 years at Elon, he created the Show Band of the Carolinas, which was Elon's first marching band. This marching band lasted until 1982. In addition White formed Elon's first Jazz ensemble, The Emanons, which is "no name" spelled backwards. Tom Erdmann replaced Jack White in 1989, as director of bands. Starting in 2000, Tom Erdmann began directing only the orchestral band. Also in 2000, Bill DeJournett was hired to direct the marching band-after 20 odd years of no marching band at Elon. With Elon entering Division I competition a strong marching band was necessary to accompany the football team who would be playing in the newly built Rhodes Stadium. In 2001, the marching band began performing under the name, Fire of the Carolinas. Their first appearance was on September 22, 2001 in Rhodes Stadium during a football game. In 2003, Tony Sawyer began directing the marching band and remains the director to this day.
0.8 Linear Feet (2 archival boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically, then alphabetically by type of material.
The collection is located in the Carol Grotnes Belk Library Archives and Special Collections at Elon University. Please contact the Archivist and Special Collections Librarian for further details about the location.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Unknown. Materials collected and assembled over many years to form collection.
Processed by Rachel Stas, February, 2012
- Encoded by Katie Nash, March, 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script