Elon Libraries Collection
This collection includes documents relating to the library at Elon University. Documents in the collection include (but are not limited to): press releases, flyers, brochures, newspaper clippings, yearly plans, informational booklets, correspondences, floor plans, fact sheets, and reports. The library has existed in four different buildings since 1889, and this collection includes information about the library when it was located in three of the four buildings (Carlton, McEwen, and Belk). The collection is arranged chronologically and then alphabetically by type of material. Each folder title includes the name of the building in which the library was located at the time. Materials date back to 1924 and continue to present day. Please see the section below titled "Detailed Description of the Collection" for more information about what is included.
- 1924 - ongoing
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
The nature of the Archives and Special Collections of Belk Library means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Archives and Special Collections of Belk Library claims only physical ownership of most materials. The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to the U.S. Copyright Law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research of otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Biographical / Historical
An academic library has existed at Elon since the school was founded in 1889. The library has been located in four different buildings on campus, three of which are still standing today. The first library was located in the Old Main Administration building and after the building burned in January of 1923, the library was then housed in Carlton building, from 1923/1924 until McEwen Library opened in 1968. The Carol Grotnes Belk Library opened in January of 2000 and the library moved from McEwen Library to the newly constructed Belk Library that year, and remains there today.
2.0 Linear Feet (5 archival boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically and then alphabetically by type of material. Each folder title includes the name of the building in which the library was located at the time. Back to Top
The collection is located in the Carol Grotnes Belk Library Archives and Special Collections at Elon University. Please contact the Archivist and Special Collections Librarian for further details about the location.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Unknown. Materials collected and assembled over many years to form collection.
Processed by Katie Nash, March, 2012
- Elon College--Buildings.
- Elon University--Buildings.
- Elon University. Library.
- Libraries--North Carolina. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Encoded by Katie Nash, March, 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Belk Library Archives & Special Collections Repository
Belk Library, Room 204
Campus Box 2550
Elon U.S.A. - North Carolina 27244