Emmett Leonidas Moffitt Collection
This collection includes materials relating to Emmett Leonidas Moffitt, President of Elon College from 1905 to 1911. These are the only known "Presidential Files" we have from Dr. Moffitt's administration. Some of the materials relate directly to his time as President, while other documents have been collected over the years to form the collection. For more information about what is included, please see the section below titled "Detailed Description of the Collection."
- 1907 - 1968
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
The nature of the Archives and Special Collections of Belk Library means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Archives and Special Collections of Belk Library claims only physical ownership of most materials. The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to the U.S. Copyright Law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research of otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Biographical / Historical
The 2012 website for the Elon University Office of the President states the following about former President Emmett Leonidas Moffitt. "A native of Asheboro, N.C., Emmett L. Moffitt became the third president of Elon College and oversaw the expansion and modernization of Elon’s campus. Prior to his tenure as president, Moffitt served on the Elon faculty as a professor of English from 1890 to 1894. He then served as editor of the Christian Sun until 1900, finally working as secretary-treasurer of the Asheboro Wheelbarrow Company until he was selected as president. During Moffitt’s era, Elon’s campus was transformed with the addition of electric lights, running water and steam radiators. Moffitt is also responsible for the construction of West Dormitory, known today as the only original building still on campus to have survived the 1923 fire. In addition, students enjoyed participation in intercollegiate sports for the first time in 1906."
0.5 Linear Feet (1 archival box)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically and then alphabetically by type of material.
The collection is located in the Carol Grotnes Belk Library Archives and Special Collections at Elon University. Please contact the Archivist and Special Collections Librarian for further details about the location.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Unknown. Materials collected and assembled over many years to form collection.
Processed by Katie Nash, January 2012
- Encoded by Shaunta Alvarez, October 2012
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script