Town of Elon Collection
This collection includes materials and documents relating to the Town of Elon, North Carolina. It is arranged chronologically, and then alphabetically by type of material. Please see the section below titled "Detailed Description of the Collection" for more information about what is included.
- 1855 - ongoing
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
The nature of the Archives and Special Collections of Belk Library means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Archives and Special Collections of Belk Library claims only physical ownership of most materials. The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to the U.S. Copyright Law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research of otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Biographical / Historical
According to the Town of Elon website in 2012, it states the following regarding the history of the Town: "In 1881 a train depot was built amid two country crossroads. One cross, a railroad track, operated between Goldsboro and Charlotte. The other, a dirt road, continued south encompassing Gibsonville and Burlington townships. Early on, the North Carolina Rail Road system referred to the station as 'Mill Point,' which was to be a shipping point for many cotton mills based around the countryside. Local folks simply knew the intersection as 'Boon’s Crossing.' Expanding borders and a growing population made it necessary to build a post office in 1888, which would establish a more permanent municipality and solidified community. The local Christian assembly committed themselves to erect an institution for higher learning. In 1889 the establishment relocated an old school known as 'Graham Normal College' to a heavily wooded area full of large oak trees. They understood that 'Elon' was the Hebrew name for oak; hence, Elon College. The college opened in 1890 with one completed brick building and 76 students. Since then, one building has progressed into an impressive university, which is renowned for academics as well as athletics. Elon, Mill Point’s old crossroads, has evolved from livery stables and blacksmith shops into a robust and industrious town. Currently, Elon covers 5 square miles and has a population of 9,419 residents. This includes town residents and students living on and off campus within the town. An alliance of town employees, Board of Aldermen, and elected officials manages Elon’s operations, projects and beautification, which will keep it a major contender for growth and prosperity well into the 21st century."
0.5 Linear Feet (1 archival box)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically and then alphabetically by type of material.
The collection is located in the Carol Grotnes Belk Library Archives and Special Collections at Elon University. Please contact the Archivist and Special Collections Librarian for further details about the location.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Unknown. Materials collected and assembled over many years to form collection.
Processed by Katie Nash, March, 2012
- Encoded by Katie Nash, March, 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script